Monday, April 18, 2016

Day 17 of 30 How Does One Control an Earthquake?

Day 17 of 30 Write a poem based on a news story and include words from an index. I chose the index from Floating Worlds, the Letters of Edward Gorey and Peter F. Neumeyer. Quite a tough one this.


How Does One Control an Earthquake?
She says nothing. She draws storyboards
She says, "I hear a gentle rumble."
I ask, "Is it dark, is it dark?"
The street lights illuminate wallpaper
and we line up
shadows nudge shadows
our lights have not yet turned on.
She should have seen this coming
this aftermath, but she would not let on
how things have changed.
She dips brush in watercolour
every morning paints new mirages
flowers becoming flowers.

In this mad room
the mad hatter lives
astrology should have seen this coming
yet tremors travel cross borders
I have seen it with my eyes
remember this visit
fault lines in the skies.

2 comments:

sean said...

Good one. And apropos to all the current seismic activity occurring around the world right now.

Taidgh Lynch said...

Thanks Sean! I really enjoy that book Floating Worlds.