Thursday, April 14, 2016

Day 12 of 30 Everything Has a Language

edit: For Day 12  I wrote a prose poem. I used some first lines from Sarah J. Sloat's chapbook - Excuse me While I Wring this Long Swim Out of My Hair. From this I wrote the poem. It's inspired by Sloat's poetry.

I took these lines directly from her poems: I'm thinking of living forever, the hum haunts, I'm of two minds.


Everything Has a Language
I'm thinking of living forever, but I am in two minds. A helicopter hovers and chops through Tuesday. The hum haunts me. Today I arrived twenty minutes early for work and I felt a ghost somewhere in a room, in a kettle, in the cupboard, in the sole of my shoe. Was your room hollow? Were your eyes windows?

I can't remember the exact day. The laundry folded, newspaper print licking fingers, the world soon to be cut into pieces. And then today was today was today. 

Home is homelessness, it has taken root in my lungs, it has sprouted, found shelter in caves, grown into strong trees. These arms, these legs, these feet. They are my mountains. They are my language. 

And I draw a line through the dust on the shelves, skirt my fingers behind a radiator. Perhaps this is a reminder of you, and what you left behind. Everything has a language of its own.

3 comments:

sean said...

I like this one a lot, Taidgh. Did you use a particular technique this time? I don't think I've seen any prose poetry from you before, but I could be wrong.

Taidgh Lynch said...

Thanks Sean. I've dabbled with prose poetry before but haven't showed too much of it. I used some first lines from Sarah j. Sloat's chapbook - Excuse me While I Wring this Long Swim Out of My Hair. From this I wrote the poem. It's part inspired by Sloat's poetry.


these parts come from her poems - I'm thinking of living forever, the hum haunts, I'm of two minds,

I'll leave a mention of this next to the poem. Thanks for looking and for your comment.

Toirdealbhach Ó Lionáird said...

Yeah, I concur with Sean. You weaved in Sloat's words very well. Good job