Wednesday, April 02, 2014

When the Cat Calls - Day Two

When the Cat Calls
When I wake tired from sleep
I'm left with yesterday's dreams
crusted to the corners of my eyes.
The cat calls from the window, 
meows for milk
those city lights no longer crystal.
 
I stretch and take long strides
to open the window to a dream 
where my cat turns into a giant eagle
and I jump onto its back 
and we fly into the blueberry sky
away from unpolished shoes 
and damp, musty memories.

I shoo the cat inside
curse its slow entrance
realise I've never had 
a dream that's come true.
 


Looking to takeaway some poetry books? Check out: The Big Poetry Giveaway 2014 On the left hand corner you can see a list of poets who are giving away poetry books. Of course you have to enter to win. You can even take part and give away books yourself. Have a great Wednesday. 

2 comments:

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Oh wow, the last two lines are so sad. Although I'm often glad my dreams don't come true! I really like the part about flying away from unpolished shoes.

Taidgh Lynch said...

Thanks for looking and for your nice comment. I don't really like polishing my shoes so flying away on an eagle sounded like a good option :)

I think the last two lines might be a little too sad. I didn't want it to sound too depressing. Never fear I have twenty-eight days left to write a few happy poems.