Sunday, April 13, 2014

13/30 Hope and Thirteen

I used a prompt from NaPoWriMo. The prompt is for a “replacement” poem. I picked a common noun for a physical thing - dental floss and then I picked a word for something intangible - hope. I then found sentences with the word dental floss and replaced it with hope.

Hope is a cleaning aid.
It is a cord of thin filaments
hope is held between the fingers
or strung on a fork-like instrument.
Gently insert hope between the teeth
and guide hope between each tooth
and under the gumline
wipe along the teeth sides,
especially close to the gums or underneath them.
Hope should be carried out once per day.

edit: I don't really like it so I'll flesh it out a bit more.

Draft 2
Hope is an aid.
It is cleansing.
It is a chord that binds us together.
Hope is held between our fingers
or on a plate with a fork.
We insert hope between our hearts
guide hope into the night
and under the shade of a tree
we close our eyes and listen
to the soft chirp of hope.

And a bonus poem that has nothing to do with the prompt.

Thirteen
Your birthday cake is a mountain
ice cream clouds melt in your mouth
Outside the sky is a scouring pad
and the wind blows tall oak trees like candles .

A stream trickles from your eyes
and grows into a swimming pool
But I cannot doggy paddle.
I cannot kick my legs and and move my arms
like a butterfly flutters its wings. 

1 comment:

Ginna FunkWallace said...

What a dope concept!