Tuesday, April 02, 2013

1/30 Flightless

All this talk of poetry for the month of April and I'm already behind. No need to worry. Here's the first of many (fingers crossed):


Flightless
I return to work a caged bird
sit frozen to the screen,
furious fingers tap keys.
Office workers ghost cubicles
phones buzz deep in pockets.
I relate message after message
mutterings mirror up and down corridors
letters open containing nothing but air.
In-between graphs and industry forecasts
I focus on a spot on the wall, force
a blossom giant and marigold.

Sometimes I refuse to go to work
and stay at home listening to the whir of the world,
imagine connections made through wifi.
The dog whimpers in sleep
street lights flicker amber.

2 comments:

lostgander said...

I like this, especially this section: "I relate message after message / mutterings mirror up and down corridors / letters open containing nothing but air."

And the entire last stanza. I feel like that cuts pretty close for me.

Taidgh Lynch said...

Cheers Sean! Nice to hear it resonates with you. Trying to capture how I feel at the moment.