Tuesday, April 02, 2013

2/30 Tongue

Here's a verbatim poem to get me up to speed. What's a verbatim poem you may ask? Well, it's when you take the exact text from something that's non-poetic and give it a title and poetic structure. Why? It's a great way to discover poetry in places you never really looked. I've taken this piece from Angela's Ashes.

Tongue
What tongue? says I.
The tongue of this sheep.
Every sheep is born with a tongue
that lets him go ba ba ba
and there's a great lack of tongue in this head.
Go up to Barry the butcher and demand it.

So up with me to Barry the butcher
and he said, That bloody sheep
came in here bleatin' an' cryin'
so much we cut the tongue from her
and thrun it to the dog
who gobbled it up
and ever since ba bas like a sheep
and if he doesn't quit
I'll cut his tongue and throw it to the cat.

taken from Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt pg 365

No comments: