Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Season's Greetings

It's that time of year again. The Happy Snowman wants to wish you a Happy Xmas! Fingers crossed the world won't end. I'm not mad into Christmas but I thought I'd get the pencils out and make a few cards rather than spending money on cards for no reason.

On the news front I showed my head in the writers' group. A strange mix of pints, politics, rants, the musical society belting out tunes in the background, and poetry on death and suicide. And I gave a little talk on both Irish print and online literary journals. I wanted to show people what's out there  It's funny how the sceptics scoff at the idea of submitting work and hate the thought of being rejected.  Self publish, it's the way to go they say, you can write what you want. Well within reason, but submitting work ups the game at least for me, and if you get rejected there's always room to improve. It forces me to pound away at writing. To get better and give me motivation.  And it comes to reading first. If the journal interests me and if I like the writing well then I might think of submitting. Of course, shock horror, everything one reads isn't going to be one hundred percent literary gold.

One word: Goodreads. I've been a member of LibraryThing but I prefer Goodreads as it really works well, with tags, links and easy navigation. It makes me read more as well. A good thing.

Another website I like is 8tracks A great site for playlists. Not only can you listen to other people's music but also you can build your own and listen whenever you want.


It's cold so here's a poem to celebrate winter:
Wintered
Outside,
a breeze blows,
teasing it bites
down on bone.
Frost licked trees
stand skeletal.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I like 'frost licked trees stand skeletal.' Very nice!

Also glad that GR has reinvigorated your reading. It's good to see you posting so much on there. I always try to get people excited about it but I guess it only appeals to some.

lostgander said...

Um, that comment was from me. For some reason Google's login labeled me as 'unknown.' I guess I'll stick with OpenID.

Taidgh Lynch said...

Thanks Sean! I guessed you were Unknown! Sometimes Google login really fecks things up. I'm a big fan of Goodreads as you've noticed. Maybe I'll start writing a few more reviews. By the way I highly recommend The Complete Essex County. It's a big tome with the collected three stories with different characters. A masterfully written (and drawn) piece of work. A very powerful piece of writing. Just thought I'd mention it as I saw it on your to read list.

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Great snowman! Happy holidays to you. (Assuming we're still here after tomorrow.)

Taidgh Lynch said...

We're still here! Happy hols!