Wednesday, November 14, 2012

NaNo, Writing Club and Erasure Poetry

NaNoWriMo has been a let down so far or more importantly I've let myself down. The thing that's always been daunting for me is word count and aiming towards 50,000 words freaks me out. I write, perhaps not often enough, but I take regular stabs at it. Knowing that I should write 50,000 words in a month rightly frightens me and stops me from writing. Sounds silly, maybe it's a fear I have to get over.

I went along to a writers' group on Monday. It may have been because I landed a little late and I didn't know the people in the club but it was a little scary, especially when members were giving what seemed to be an honest critique of someone's writing and the writer was resisting criticism. Strange. I just sat there in silence. No use giving someone feedback. Not very successful, but it was only the first night and I'll check it out again. 

And I got myself into a funny little conversation about erasure poetry. I mentioned I try my hand at erasure poetry. Shock, horror! You write erasure poetry?! You use other people's words to make poetry? You can't do that! Oh, yes I can. Check out my erasure poetry here 

Erasure poetry is a great way to get creativity going and put words and sentences together that you never thought would work. Another exercise is getting a title (poetry, fiction, magazine article) and write poetry in relation to the title. At the end of the day it's all about learning and growing your talent and anything that encourages your form and progress shouldn't be dismissed. It would be a shame if it was decided that you can't write a poem because the words being used were not created by you.

A favourite erasure artist of mine is Carrieola. I'm not sure where they're all taken from. I am quite sure the second text is from Paul and Virginia by Jacques-Henri Bernardin de Saint-Pierre. Check out Carrieola's deviantart page for more.

No comments: