Thursday, March 29, 2012

April

It's that time of the year again when National Poetry Month is celebrated, though it's not an international celebration. It's chiefly American, however, it's slowly catching on here. It's a way to promote poetry and most importantly for publishers - sales. So why wouldn't it catch on over here? In Ireland we hold a National Poetry Day on October 6, they also mark this day in the UK. It's mainly a day where readings are held up and down the country with a lot of it hosted by Poetry Ireland. Also during this week on the radio special attention is given to poetry.

April is also NaPoWriMo, a month of writing thirty poems for thirty days. This is all to coincide with National Poetry Month. Writing under extreme pressure or flinging out words for a month so you're left with a script, a novel, or a collection of poetry can be negative. Imagine if all you're cranking out is poo for days and weeks on end, it doesn't do the confidence much good. I, however, like putting myself in this situation every November when writing a novel. I have come to the conclusion that I like torturing myself and have developed a love of self-loathing and pity when taking part in NaNoWriMo.

I'm much better at writing poetry so I'll be taking up the challenge of writing a poem a day for a month. I've done this before, though not on the month of April, but I know that it's doable. The reason for this is because I've been lazy, I need to flex my poetry muscles and it's a way to get back on the poetry horse. So I wanted to let you know that you'll be seeing a lot more poetry on here over the next couple of weeks.

In other news I trekked up Torc mountain. The day was hazy and I was already somewhat exhausted because I cycled to the foot of Torc, but it was great to see the area from my high vantage point.







1 comment:

lostgander said...

Looks otherworldly! I particularly like that last shot of the path. Good contrast between land and sky.