Sunday, October 23, 2011

Books

I'm a book whore! There I said it. I love books. They hold my attention big time. Ebooks, however, give me a lot of trouble especially when I can just press the page up and down key. The home and end keys are also delightful. Look all finished! My eyes tend to wander far too much when I read ebooks. And reading comics on the computer is even worse. I shiver just thinking about it. So because of that I like to buy books that I can hold.

Over the years I have built up a collection of books from comics to photography, art and writing journals, novels and poetry books. Some of my books, however, I would be horrified to lend out even though they are wonderfully revolting it would scare the be-Jesus out of anyone.

A few of my favourites:

Out of Control by Kevin Kelly. A book on technology and how computers, social systems and economics interact. This book made me think. A good thing.

Peace and War by Joe Haldeman with three stories. The Forever War is the best of the lot. A sci-fi yarn about a soldier who fights in a war in a distant galaxy, however, every time he returns to earth, on leave, centuries have gone by making him totally out of touch with reality.

The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr and E.B. White. A great little book that I never tire of. The book itself is an example of good writing and style.

Wilfred Owen poems selected by Jon Sallworthy. Wilfred Owen was a war poet whose work represents the lives of young men sacrificed in the First World War. There are some beautiful images and wonderful sound to be heard in his poems. There is also an informative introduction from Sallworthy

Capacity by Theo Ellsworth. This illustrated book is a crazy creative journey, it reads like a dream or some mad drug-fueled trip. Thumbs up.

No comments: